Monday, February 24, 2014

Change of Code

Well last Tuesday I moved home and I have time now to figure out what to do next. I honestly have no idea what direction I want to go in next, but I'm definitely pretty burnt out on showjumping for now. I can already hear the hunting horn calling me but that wont start until the end of next month. It's hard because I just cant get consistently good rounds on Butch I find that really frustrating. Its hard also because I have lost some life confidence and it has flowed over into my riding.

Anyway, this weekend for the first time in 9 yrs I'm going to go eventing. It's a pony club event and I'm only running in the training height which is 95cm which should be a doddle on my good 1.20m Showjumper right. OMG I am freaking out. There is a water jump and ditches and actually thats all that really worries me. I have always enjoyed banks. I used to be a really gangster eventer even qualifying a horse for 1* before I ruined him by putting him through a showjump. ( years is a long time though.

I have done three XC practice days on the great giant goatface and he loves it, though I suspct I will have trouble with the water which can back him off and make him fire left. At the last practice day I managed to be first out on the course and after warming up I went around like it as an event though at the first two fences I jumped the smaller option and then cantered back an jumped the training option. I ran into trouble at a bullfinch fence which is a fence with brush out the top and it was blotched in grey white and black blotches. Most horses seem to back off of these and Butch had two run outs before I was like "Bex you are eventing, stop being so feeble!" And he actually jumped it ok though took another couple of fences to settle. He was fantastic to the trakhner and then had a bobble at the water but jumped in really confidently after he had done it once. He has no actual eventing miles only training day miles, but it seemed ridiculous to do the 80cm height class on him. 

The other major issue I have found is going to be in the dressage in that I haven't done it for ages. Of course I like my horses to be well schooled but I tend to focus on the canter because I'm riding jumpers and use the trot for lateral work and softness. I also tend to go ok he is soft now so I will ask for a transition rather than asking for transitions at points in the arena. I have no idea if his trot is a working trot and it lacks cadence, and his walk is barely existant because he keeps wanting to trot again. Though he does a good stretchy circle so that's something. Cross training is important, I have gotten way to one minded, so at least this is showing up some holes in my training.


And if that isn't enough I'm also entered in the training on the horse above which is Ike and I have jumped him once at the practice day above. But he s very cool, providing you keep your leg on and keep him hustling. Very scopey and will jump from any distance though a touch spooky. Good times. I'm a mad woman.

1 comment:

  1. Mad woman indeed, will be looking forward to hearing how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete