Monday, December 6, 2010

Goals



I was asked about goals because we all know that the key to success is having good goals. You know intelligent, attainable, measurable goals. I do always have goals. I normally go out and ride with a goal in mind for each horse. Mostly it's getting them fitter or getting them working softly and round, improving lightness to the aids or relaxation. Just something. Normally it's something pretty simple- I tend to school until I get the feeling I want and then call it a day.

On the slightly longer term, I would like to jump some clear rounds in the Amateur classes with Connie and Kate and compete in the Amateur class at the Horse of the Year show and perhaps jump some 1.25m classes on either of them providing the season continues to go well and I can get Connie really sound again. Bill, I want to get out to a few shows and then I will probably hunt her. Rascal I want to find a job she likes doing and then sell her to someone who wants a nice little horse for that job.

Normally I have longer term goals as well but this season I don't. It's for a specific reason- I don't know whats going to happen. It all comes down to this season really. Last year I went crazy and blew the whole season with the depression malarky, so I really set myself back a season. I'm 25 already and the longer I spend out of the proper workforce or furthering my education, the less likely it is that I'll get a good career and a house and that sort of thing. On the flip side, it's my dream and I love the showjumping. So this season is a litmus test. I'm not worrying about next year until after HOY is over and then I will sit down and think very hard about my life and the other aspects and then I'll decide where to from there. Though honestly if I can continue with the progress I have made so far it will be really hard to leave.

And to whom made the comment about the size of the fences, it comes down to the horse really. One day the look really impossibly huge and then you practice and have a good horse and suddenly it looks possible and you can just do it. Believe me on Bill 50cm looks humungous, as does 1m on Rascal, while on Connie and Kate 1.20m is doable.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty five is not old. Heck I am forty six, never ridden in a one day event, but that isn't going to stop me competing at the FEI level. That said, don't waste time, because time always goes much faster than you think and there is always much less of it than you realise.

    Here's a question for you. You want to make a life out of show jumping, but have you planned what sort of life you ultimately hope for if all goes well? I don't want to stomp on your feelings, but at the moment it all comes across as being a very nice young woman doing some show jumping with her nice horses. An expensive hobby and not a career. This is something that I really do want you to think about.

    If you are not comfortable with publishing this comment, then of course I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heck, I feel so mean after writing my last comment. It was something that I had wanted to write for the longest time and didn't because I didn't want to hurt your feelings. You can succeed. You just have to do the things that you need to do. You will have to work your butt off, your competition horses will never make a living for you, they will serve as advertising and competing will boost the value of horses that you sell. The secret is going to be work, work and more work. Forget having anything that even resembles a normal life if you want to succeed with horses in a major way. You can email me at kippen64@gmail.com I seriously want to morally support you in all ways possible.

    ReplyDelete